Yesterday, I appeared on “Health Talk” to discuss SILS – Single Incision Laparoscopy Surgery.
In a nutshell, instead of a six-inch incision required by traditional surgery (or even the three to four smaller half-inch incisions utilized in standard laparoscopic surgery), SILS surgery is accomplished through a single small incision in the belly button.
The following operations can be performed by SILS:
- Removal of uterus (hysterectomy)
- Removal of ovary (oophorectomy)
- Removal of gallbladder (cholecystectomy)
- Removal of appendix (appendicectomy)
- Repair of paraumbilical or incisional hernia
- Diagnostic laparoscopy with biopsy
Beginning Sunday, May 19, each evening at 8 and 10 pm, you can view this very infomative segment. Health Talk is Norwalk Hospital’s TV show which broadcasts on Cablevision Local Programming Channel 84.
If you have questions about SILS or need more information, call my office at 203.855.3535.